The MicroAge Lab maintains a server, CYAN, for some of its courses. The server is often used to teach database principles.
Students in the associated current-term classes can log in to the server from campus networks. That is, UAWiFi, via the UA VPN, or by using computers physically plugged in to UA campus networks.
Connecting to CYAN from a Mac
Download and install MySQL Workbench
Your computer screen will look like below screenshot:
Hit the download button.
In MySQL Workbench, create a connection entry for our CYAN server
After you have downloaded and installed MySQL Workbench, you can begin setting up a connection to our server.
1. Open MySQL Workbench. It will open to a screen like this one:
2. Click on the plus sign icon in the MySQL Connections area to add a new connection:
3. In the Setup New Connection window, fill in the following values:
- Connection Name: you can use whatever you like that you will remember for this connection. We recommend MIS CYAN server.
- Connection Method: Select Standard (TCP/IP) from the dropdown.
- In the Parameters Area
- Hostname: mis-cyansrv.microagelab.arizona.edu
- Username: <Your NetID>
- Click on the SSL tab to bring up those options
- Ensure the Use SSL option dropdown shows Require.
- Click on the Advanced tab to bring up those options
- Click the checkbox for the option Enable Cleartext Authentication Plugin to enable that feature.
- When done, click OK to save the new connection.
Connect to CYAN using the connection entry you have made
Your new connection will appear in the MySQL Workbench window. Double-click the new connection to begin the connection process.
You will be prompted at least twice for password information. You will be using your NetID password.
Depending on software available, you may receive the following warning about version mismatches when you connect:
Simply choose Continue Anyway to proceed with the connection process.
If you experience issues connecting, the likely issue is where you are connecting from. The CYAN server is only open to UA campus networks; that is, UAWiFi (not UAGuest), UA VPN, and physical networks on the UA campus.
If you're trying to connect from a different network, you will need to use the UA's VPN server. Information about how to install and use it on a Windows computer is on UITS' VPN webpages. You will have to enroll in NetID+ to use the VPN.
If you are having trouble with your NetID credentials, please contact the UITS 24/7 Support Center at 520-626-TECH.
If you continue to have issues, please contact your course instructors for guidance, or the MicroAge Lab for technical assistance. You can submit a MicroAge Lab support request via our online form.